Sunday, January 1, 2012

A Word to Live By

So . . . I have been challenged to choose a word for 2012.  Well, not for ME to choose the word, but to listen to the Holy Spirit for the word God has that will be the theme of my year.

Actually, that wasn't hard.  I had already been given my word when I received this assignment.  I wanted be sure, so I prayed, and the word stayed in my mind and kept appearing in many different places.  So I knew.

My word is PEACE.

Sounds nice, right? Peace . . . a sweet, peaceful 2012.  Yeah.  Well, there's a lot more involved in that word than just a nice feeling.  The reason I was first given that word is that I face a good bit of turmoil at work.  Actually, it depends on what day it is.  You see, I work for a principal who compliments me over and over for my good work, and then suddenly can fly into a rage for no reason.  Many people think he's bipolar.  Many people at my school are praying for him.  

God told me I need to find peace in the midst of that turmoil, that when I am being mistreated (and I'm not the only one--everyone in the school deals with the same problem), I need to find peace in Him, to be peaceful with who He has made me, with who I am in Him.

I know that's not the end of the significance of the word "peace."  It's a dangerous word.  To learn to be peaceful, what must I do?  Face difficult circumstances in which I must remain peaceful.  Do I look forward to that?  No.  But until now, my life has been filled with feelings of anxiety and inferiority.  And that is not living a victorious life.  I need peace.  

So, I begin my journey toward peace, with the hand of God on me.  I know that it will go far beyond just my work situation.  I'm excited, but know it will not be easy.

"If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone."  ~Romans 12:18

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives.  Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."  ~John 14:27


Where I find the peace of God, even on a windy New Year's Day

"The God of peace be with you all.  Amen."  ~Romans 15:33

No comments:

Post a Comment